To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Wednesday 25 October 2017

A-Z, the end?

I finally reached the letter 'Z' in my A-Z of Fetish Artists this month. (Thank you to the member who commented on this little milestone). It's been a long haul since I posted the first article in this series featuring the marvellous artist 'Adam' back in April 2008. That's nigh on 10 years ago.

Adam
The world has changed a lot in that time and this series has too. The original articles were very sketchy compared with my current standard, partly to avoid falling foul of copyright issues. I also avoided explicit material so that the blog could be classed as 'non-adult' and would be less vulnerable to arbitrary deletion by Google. That meant I had to censor some sample images. Of course that policy was not compatible with the subject matter of the A-Z and as soon as I deviated the blog was removed anyway in May 2010. 

I think that event may well have been triggered by my publication of the A-Z article on Martin Of Holland in April 2010. This was and is the only article in the series that I developed in collaboration with the artist in question. I was mildly acquainted with him as a result of debates on artistic questions at GMBA (current link in sidebar). Martin was a man of strong opinions and principles and I knew he would not entertain my censoring his work, but between us we were able to select a not-too-demanding group of pictures that did some some justice to his exotic tastes in erotica. That article remains in its original form to this day (see Martin Of Holland).

Martin of Holland
Fortunately the suspension of 'mitchmen' proved to be short lived and Google allowed me to resume behind an 'Adults only' page. After that I felt freer to use uncensored artworks although (as regular readers will know) I still watch my P's & Q's if I'm in a challenging area. Despite that I'm grateful that Google allows me to use this platform although that co-existence nearly ended again in 2015 when Google decided they wanted to ban blogs with nudity only to reverse the decision a few days later. 

The upshot of this is that I have a legacy of articles running up to the letter 'M' which are not as I would wish them to be. I recently noticed for example that my article on Hasegawa, presently has one censored picture (below) and two vanilla ones which are not really representative of that great man's skills.

Hasegawa
  I have been updating some of these early articles for some years now but on a piecemeal basis only and I have only scratched the surface so far. Revisions are noted in the A-Z Index. So the answer to the question in the title of this article is no, it's not the end of the A-Z. I aim to revise the series more systematically. Hopefully it won't take another 10 years but I will have to balance that activity with introducing fresher art and artists here too. That includes artists who use computer techniques who are not represented at all in the original A-Z.

1 comment:

speedoric said...

Only one set of congratulations on yr epic work:disgraceful! Now a fascinating account 10 years woerk & the promise of more revisions. Many thx!