To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Saturday 6 March 2010

Mitchell's A-Z of Fetish Artists - My Favourite 'L'

Once again I have a good selection from which to choose a favourite, but for 'L' it is heavily weighted towards past masters so I have the benefit of a long term perspective.

I have always found the sensuality and subject matter of Link's art very attractive but he is being jostled by some seriously talented artists here. I love the domination scenarios concocted by Losarro and Lowenhaupt but as regular readers will know, the old man + young man scenario doesn't work for me erotically and when combined with feminised facial features it's a no no.

I highlighted femininity in Leo's work as well, but it's quite different in nature, his men are made to behave in a feminine way so there's a humiliation angle that I can appreciate providing that the men do not lose their maleness in the process. In fact there is a gentleness about Leo's men which is not unmasculine (and is probably true to life) but doesn't seem quite appropriate in erotic domination fantasy. Leo's wide-ranging exploration of bondage is very perceptive and tremendously important but his representation of manhood doesn't work for me.

Logan is a different kettle of fish. He's a very talented graphic artist and his pictures have a tremendous power that springs from their artistry more than the subject matter. The maturity of his men is refreshing. But they have an angularity and hardness that for me drains away the erotic appeal.

This leaves me with Link and Les. Eye candy vs scary fantasy. I have to admit that my favourite picture in all the “L's” is Les's dungeon staircase, it invokes a sense of sexual anxiety and helplessness that presses all my buttons and this flavour runs through his work. The bizarre facial features and outfits add an extra twist which is surprisingly effective and has even survived the passage of time.

Les - Military Interrogation

'Military Interrogation' is another picture that makes good use of clothing and nudity to underline danger and vulnerability. The neat balanced composition draws you in to focus on the prisoner until you realise what the guard has clenched in his hand.

The vague, muddy reproductions unfortunately deprive Les's pictures of sensuality which is where Link really scores with his voluptuously muscled and handsome heroes that the eyes linger over.

Link's 'Train to Crotchdorf' is a good example with a selection of attractive men to study. The cute prisoners are being ferried to the prison, apparently by public transport, while the guards charged with keeping them 'on the boil' relax with their buddies. I love the situation that Link has created here, the condemned men hanging naked in full view of all the other passengers is the stuff of many commuters' fantasies!.

It's very hard to choose between these two but in this case I'm inclined to follow my head rather than my heart so I'm choosing Les as my winner for L.


There's a good selection of Les's work in the recent postings at Roids and Rants - but you'll have to hunt back through the archives for it!

For other articles in this series click on the A-Z label below.

4 comments:

Stany said...

Mi piace il primo disegno! L'interrogatorio di un prigioniero, nudo e appeso per i piedi, il tavolo, i due militari dall'aria cattiva, è un top, un classico dell'arte s/m.
Vorrei vederne delli altri, credo che ce ne siano. Non è vero? Grazie!

Mitchell said...

Roughly Translated:-
I like the first design! The interrogation of a prisoner, naked and hanging by the feet, the table, the two soldiers with a bad attitude, is a top, a classic of art s/m. I would like see others, i think there are some. True? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Is there more Link's work?

Mitchell said...

I only have the main A-Z article on Link, posted 21st Feb 2010. There's a link there to GMBA google group which is the only site I know of with an archive but you'll have to hunt for it! It's also a good place to ask other members to post what they have - for any artist in this field.