To my readers......

SITE UPDATE NOTICE

Thanks for visiting mitchmen, home of Mitchell's Gay Art

The Caps and Collars/ Flat Cap Gang story at Google Groups is on a summer break until July. (see Group News for link)

Message updated 25th June 2023

Friday 16 May 2008

Mitchell's A to Z of Fetish Artists - Best of the letter 'B'

Picking out my favourite in the letter 'B' category is tough - there are several artists that excite me here so I know my choice is going to be somewhat arbitrary.

If I were making my choice on drawing style and sensuality it would have to be Blake - I love how he draws his beleaguered men - but the subject matter is just too hard for me. I feel the same about Bastille's sleazy orgies though I admire his intelligent artistry.

I like the inventiveness of Bishop's bondage positions but the female nuances in his figures kill the fantasy. Belasco's hard black and white style reminds me of the war story comic books of my youth and fills his stories with action and drama but somehow the sensuality and interest isn't quite there in individual frames - I can't put my finger on exactly why.

That leaves us with Boundex and Brick - both use cartoon styles so we are not really talking about sensuality here (apart from Boundex's shiny buttocks whose charms are not inconsiderable!). For me the main attractions in the work of these two artists are the depiction of male bondage itself, the use of clothing which creates a connection with the real world and the story-telling. It's a hard choice but Brick just edges it for me because his men have just a touch more realism and his pictures are more varied in subject matter with rather more going on in them. So Brick joins Amir in my personal Hall of Fame!

No comments: